Health Savings Account (HSA) Guide for Members
Take Control of Your Health Care
A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a way to secure more affordable health coverage for you and your family while you save on taxes. Flexible and easy to use, an HSA plan empowers you to take charge of your health, your money and your future. With an HSA you own and control the money and how it is spent.
Benefits of an HSA
An HSA makes it easier to afford your deductible on your Consumer Driven Health Plan.
- Cover your deductible and other qualified medical expenses with funds from your HSA.
- An HSA account is completely portable, the balance in your HSA rolls over year-to-year, and can be saved over time and accessed upon qualified retirement.
How it Works
When you incur an expense:
- A participating provider will submit a claim to BlueCross BlueShield for processing.
- If the deductible hasn't been met, and Explanation of Benefits will be sent to both you and the provider indicating the balance you'll owe.
- You can pay with your debit card (if you have one set up for your HSA) and the amount is automatically deducted from your account, up to the amount available in your HSA.
- If the HSA isn't sufficiently funded to pay the claim, you’re responsible for the remaining balance of the bill.
- You may also pay the provider by cash, check, or credit card, and submit a paper claim to the chosen administrator for your HSA for reimbursement.
- After the deductible is met, a copay or coinsurance may apply.
- You may also pay for your medical expense directly, and continue to save your money in your HSA plan.