Plans & Benefits - The Power of Blue
Instant Recognition — BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York is part of the BlueCross BlueShield Association.
To learn more about the BlueCross BlueShield Association, click here.
- The BlueCross BlueShield brand is the most recognized health care brand in the world.
- Over 85% of all doctors and hospitals throughout the U.S. participate with BlueCross BlueShield plans including over 660,000 providers and 6100 hospitals.
- Urgent and emergency services are available worldwide.
- With the BlueCard program, your employees receive the benefits of BlueCross BlueShield discounts when they travel or live outside the area and there is no need for up-front payments or claim submissions. Click here for information on BlueCard's out-of-area care.
Portability — BlueCross BlueShield Plan members can take their health care benefits with them — across the country and around the world.
- Access to doctors and hospitals almost everywhere. Click here for information on BlueCard's out-of-area care.
- Blue Plans offer health insurance coverage in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- Outside of the U.S., BlueCross BlueShield is also accepted by doctors and hospitals in more than 200 countries.
- Enrollment in Blue plans in the U.S. is over 102 million
- Nearly one in three Americans is covered by a Blue plan.
- More than three-quarters of Fortune 100 companies and half of all Fortune 500 companies offer BlueCross BlueShield coverage to their employees.
- BlueCross BlueShield market power enables your employees to receive the benefits of Blue discounts, and easy streamlined administration.
- For more than 70 years, BlueCross and BlueShield Plans have symbolized security and peace of mind throughout the United States.
- Today, the BlueCross and BlueShield System is the nation's largest family of health benefits companies.
Who are the Blues? — More about the BlueCross BlueShield Association
- The Blue System is an association of 39 independent, locally operated Plans united through membership in the BlueCross BlueShield Association (BCBSA).
- BCBSA and its Member Plans are dedicated to bringing meaningful changes and advances to the U.S. health care financing and delivery system.
- The independent Blue Plans' local roots enable them to offer products and services uniquely tailored to meet community and individual consumer needs.
- Membership in the BlueCross BlueShield Association enables plans to cost effectively serve large regional and national employers as well as provide their members coverage while traveling.
- The BlueCross Blue Shield Association coordinates health care coverage for nearly 100 million Americans through Indemnity Insurance, Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs), Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs), Point-Of-Service (POS) plans, and Traditional Fee-For-Service Plans. BlueCross BlueShield Association plans also administer Medicare plans for the federal government.
- The Blues cover all segments of the population, including large employer groups, small businesses, individual consumers and their families