2012 Medicare Advantage Plan Information
At BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York, we have years of experience working with Medicare and helping members understand the details. We’re here to help ensure that you know all your options and make the decision that’s right for you.
You must live in one of the following Western New York counties to be eligible for enrollment in one of our Medicare Advantage plans:
Learn more about the following plans we offer:
Please note that a plan may not be available to beneficiaries the following contract year because, by law, plan sponsors can choose to not renew their contract with CMS, reduce their service area or CMS may refuse to renew the contract, resulting in a termination or non-renewal of your plan.
When you can join, drop or switch a Medicare Advantage Plan
You may enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan only during specific times of the year:
- When you first become eligible for Medicare, the seven month period beginning three months before you turn 65, the month you turn 65 and three months after you turn 65
- If you get Medicare due to a disability
- During the Annual Enrollment Period from October 15, 2011 and December 7, 2011
In most cases, you must stay enrolled for the calendar year that starts the date your coverage begins.
In certain situations, however, you may be able to join, drop or switch a Medicare Advantage Plan, excluding BlueSaver MSA, at other times. Some of these situations include the following:
- During the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period, between January 1 and February 14, you may drop your Medicare Advantage Plan and return to Original Medicare (does NOT apply to the BlueSaver MSA plan)
- If you move out of the plan’s service area
- If you have both Medicare and Medicaid
- If you qualify for extra help to pay for your prescription drugs
- If you live in an institution
If you have any questions, please call Customer Service at 1-800-329-2792, TTY: 1-877-834-6918. We are open:
| October 15-February 14
|| 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week
| February 15-October 14
|| 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday
During non-business hours, your call will be answered by our automated phone system. A Customer Service Representative will return your call on the next business day.
A Medicare Advantage Organization with a Medicare Contract.
Y0086 H9788_MRK889 CMS Approved 01232012
Content last updated October 26, 2011